home router battery backup

Aaron C. de Bruyn aaron at heyaaron.com
Wed Jan 12 18:37:09 UTC 2022

On Wed, Jan 12, 2022 at 10:18 AM Andy Ringsmuth <andy at andyring.com> wrote:

> Given that most people barely even know what their home router is, I
> suspect the percentage would be somewhere south of 1 percent. Outside of my
> home, I honestly cannot recall EVER seeing someone’s home using a battery
> backup for their internet infrastructure.

Same here.  The only people I've seen that have battery backups for their
home routers are fellow geeks.  I even bought one and shipped it to my
~70-year-old mother...and she just doesn't want to install it.  "Too
complicated".

> I personally do, but of course I (and probably everyone on this list) am
> by no means representative of the population at large in this particular
> area.

Same.  My home office has 3 Cyberpower 2500 VA double-conversion UPS units
backed by Champion transfer switches.  Power goes out, and ~45 seconds
later I'm running on generator power.
My local ISP runs out of power well before I do.  Thankfully there's
Starlink.

Short of an asteroid hitting my office, it's highly unlikely I'll ever be
offline. ;)

-A