home router battery backup

Andy Ringsmuth andy at andyring.com
Wed Jan 12 18:15:58 UTC 2022

> On Jan 12, 2022, at 11:35 AM, Scott T Anderson via NANOG <nanog at nanog.org> wrote:
>
> Hi NANOG mailing list,
>
> I am a graduate student, currently conducting research on how power outages affect home Internet users. I know that the FCC has a regulation since 2015 (47 CFR Section 9.20) requiring ISPs to provide an option to voice customers to purchase a battery backup for emergency voice services during power outages. As this is only an option and only applies to customers who subscribe to voice services, I was wondering if anyone had any insights on the prevalence of battery backup for home modem/routers? I.e., what percentage of home users actually install a battery backup in their home modem/router or use an external UPS?
>
> Thanks.
> Scott

Given that most people barely even know what their home router is, I suspect the percentage would be somewhere south of 1 percent. Outside of my home, I honestly cannot recall EVER seeing someone’s home using a battery backup for their internet infrastructure.

I personally do, but of course I (and probably everyone on this list) am by no means representative of the population at large in this particular area.

----
Andy Ringsmuth
5609 Harding Drive
Lincoln, NE 68521-5831