SRv6 Capable NOS and Devices

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Wed Jan 12 07:12:22 UTC 2022

On 1/11/22 23:57, Adam Thompson wrote:

> My question is, why do you think you need Segment Routing at all?  Is your network so enormously large and/or complex that IS-IS (and/or MPLS-TE) isn't capable of handling it?
> So far, SR looks like a solution in search of a problem, at least to me.
> I'm not saying you don't have a need for it, but I am questioning whether you do, or whether you're just being sucked in by all the latest sizzle (i.e. sales & marketing materials).  (After all, that's what the sizzle is *designed* to do!)

So SR-MPLS is different from SRv6.

I have refused to jump on the SR-MPLS train, but I AFAIK, it is not the
monstrosity that SRv6 is. And while you still have to consider your
hardware and software options for SR-MPLS, it is out there in the wild,
working.

So if you had to choose, SR-MPLS is likely a better option than SRv6.

For me, MPLS + LDP works, and is mature. The vendors I am willing to
invest in support LDPv6. The hardware we run is not going to fall over
because of LDP state.

Leaves me time to focus on other, real problems.

Mark.