SRv6 Capable NOS and Devices

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Wed Jan 12 07:07:14 UTC 2022

On 1/11/22 17:16, Colton Conor wrote:

>   Has
> anyone deployed this new technology?

I have heard of a network in Uganda that is running it.

The rest I've heard of are either in the lab, or some portions of their
network under testing.

> If building a greenfield regional ISP network, would SRv6 be a requirement?

Nope! It's a problem looking for a problem.

> My understanding is that because it's using IPv6 in the dataplane, not
> all devices have to have SRv6 enabled. The in-between core devices
> just have to support IPv6, but not necessarily support SRv6. This is
> much different than traditional MPLS networks today where all devices
> have to support MPLS/LDP correct?

You'd be hard-pressed to find anything that will help you generate
revenue that does not come with MPLS baked into the chip and code.

Do you want to take the chance of where and when SRv6 may or may not be
needed?

SRv6 is Cisco trying to create a market for a problem that does not
exist. In the process, all other vendors are forced to waste tons of
money and time to stay in the game, when they could be fixing real
problems and adding real value.

Don't fall for the trap. Vote with your wallet, and feet. We did.

Mark.