BGP Route Monitoring

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Fri Jan 7 07:50:25 UTC 2022

On Thu, 6 Jan 2022 at 15:48, Sandoiu Mihai <Mihai.Sandoiu at wwz.ch> wrote:

> I am trying to find a solution that does not require much scripting or customization.

Suggestion to run BMP is a fine suggestion. Another option is plain
old BGP, setup iBGP+best-external (w/ add-path if you may receive >1
copy from local eBGP neighbours) from these boxes to a collector bgp,
maybe with a prefix-list filter to send only this prefix. Then have
the collector box raise an alert when it doesn't receive the route
from one of them.
Writing this from scratch in any language that has a free BGP library
(shockingly most open source BGP implementations are written 'wrong',
with tight coupling of consumer code and protocol, instead of
separated protocol library and consumer code, robbing us from BGP
libraries in many languages) is maybe 1h of work. Or you could use any
open source or commercial BGP implementation and query those (if you
did prefix-filtering on source nodes, the entire RIB is 0 to 2
prefixes), but this would require some work still, as you'd need to
query them either via some API or SSH.

What does 'much scripting or customisation' mean. I fear it means that
none of these, nor BMP work, as you still need to query for the data
somehow and act on it somehow and you just want to copy paste 'conf
term; ip do-the-thing', which I'm afraid isn't available.

--
  ++ytti