Certificates for DoT and DoH?

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Mon Feb 28 19:56:51 UTC 2022

David Guo <david at xtom.com> writes:

> You don't need a certificate for your IP address if your DoT and DoH
> use domains.

Sorry if I'm slow, but isn't that a chicken-and-egg problem?

We're going to provide this as an add-on to our standard ISP resolver
service.  Most clients will pick up the addresses from DHCP/DHCPv6.
Very few are configuring DNS resolvers manually, and those who do are
using other providers.  Like you :-)

> For certificates with IPv4 address, we use ZeroSSL / GoGetSSL, both
> are SubCA with Sectigo, which works fine.

Thanks.  That's interesting. I didn't know ZeroSSL offered this.  And
GoGetSSL has better docs than most.

But we can't run a resolver service without IPv6 in 2022.  Did you ever
get any explanation of this restriction?  Shouldn't be much
harder/different to validate an IPv6 address if you can validate an IPv4
address.

> For IPv6 address, we used Digicert but it's too expensive, so we give up ☹

Hard to claim it's too expensive if no one else thinks it's worth
offering a similar service...

> Our DoT/DoH service is https://dns.sb/

Nice.  Good to have more examples to look at.

Bjørn