40G QSFP+ to 4 SFP+ on MX960

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Fri Feb 25 08:58:42 UTC 2022

On 2/25/22 09:04, Saku Ytti wrote:

> Then you went too far. For many users the 40G port is there to
> increase 10G density, by offering 4x10GE breakout. It is already
> difficult to support 1GE customers and 10GE is starting to become
> problematic. But SP networks actually have these customers, and not
> every application on the Internet will always need more and more
> capacity, so many of these customers have no requirement to ever
> purchase faster ports.
>
> If you live in cloudyworld, sure, denser and faster. But this mode of
> thinking is making life at SP networks rather difficult.

100%.

New boxes from Juniper that have shipped with a minimum of 10Gbps when
we still have 1Gbps use-cases has meant we've put orders off. 12 months
later, they have new iterations of the boxes now allowing for all the
way down to 1Gbps.

CloudyWorld is giving OEM's the impression that NetworkWorld also have
the same requirements. It's good to see some OEM's are getting back to
their roots, but it's not easy work.

DWDM vendors are the worst, because they look at all orders with DCI eye
glasses.

Mark.