Russian aligned ASNs?

scott surfer at mauigateway.com
Fri Feb 25 03:33:41 UTC 2022

On 2/24/2022 2:40 PM, William Allen Simpson wrote:
> There have been reports of DDoS and new targeted malware attacks.
>
> There were questions in the media about cutting off the Internet.
>
> Apparently some Russian government sites have already cut themselves
> off, presumably to avoid counterattacks.
>
> Would it improve Internet health to refuse Russian ASN announcements?
>
> What is our community doing to assist Ukraine against these attacks?

I think everyone should keep all networks up and functional as long as
possible and let information flow.

The big issue, of course, will be the filling of the media with so much
crap that no one knows what to believe.  Apparently, they are attacking
the Ukraine government.  Regular people that are not being targeted,
except for those unfortunate folks that are 'collateral damage".
Russian and Ukraine folks are family and friends for the most part.  No
one on either side wants to see each other targeted.

AFAIK, cell phones and internet in Ukraine are working.  Someone I know
called their friend in Ukraine who was on a cell.  That person said
Ukrainians generally are scared, but not panicking. Good call.

scott