Russian aligned ASNs?

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Fri Feb 25 03:19:32 UTC 2022

On Thu, Feb 24, 2022 at 05:59:08PM -0800, Seth David Schoen wrote:
> I also imagine (without data) that most DoS attacks continue to be
> performed by botnets, using other people's connections, rather than
> directly by their ultimate perpetrators.  So, the most effective and
> meaningful mitigation would be trying to clean up bots, and prevent
> ongoing bot infections, rather than cutting off suspected or actual
> perpetrators.
>
> I realize that's much easier said than done!

It is, and it isn't.  There was a time when we mostly all had staffed
abuse desks and took action on complaints.  Some of us still do.  If
we took the security of the Internet seriously, we could at least make
a reasonable effort to develop ways to cope with the growing problems
that are only exacerbated by stuff like the explosive growth of IoT,
and the resulting IoT malware.  But this has to include service
providers giving a damn about what they let their customers spew out
onto the network, and it's been many years since it became clear that
profit margin won out over being a decent netizen.

... JG
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way
through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that
democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"-Asimov