New minimum speed for US broadband connections

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 01:31:08 UTC 2022

The future belongs to wireless. Hopefully not 5g to any huge extent.

If it helps any, wiline in the bay area has been delivering fixed
wireless services for many, many years, 'round here. There's another
technology - free space optics - that can get stuff across the street.
I played around a lot with early versions of this:

http://www.koruza.net/

Then I assume spacex will also market their 10-20Gbit laser links on
earth at some point. In atmosphere, I cannot hazard a guess, but more
than 1km seems feasible, even in fog.

There is a ton of good wireless gear out, or coming out, if you can
find someone to point it at. The ubiquiti 60ghz AP's base latency is
0.7ms from AP to customer. Ideal max range is about 1.5km to account
for rain fade. Bandwidth is 1Gbps per AP, so 300-500Mbps symmetrical
plans are possible depending on the oversubscription ratio and how
many subs per AP.
60GHz PtMP can do 950/950Mbps on the first bandwidth test, with <1ms
(idle, have not tested for bufferbloat, too scared to) latency.
There's up to 15 subscribers per AP. The APs have 30 degree beamwidth,
so up to 180 subs per tower site would be possible. The main catch is
cost and range. $400 per customer radio (3X cost of most CPEs).

802.11AX 5GHz PtMP products from Mimosa and Cambium will be
interesting competing products at 1/2 that cost per CPE.  Seeing
870Mbps and 4ms latency at 9km with AX gear. I worry a lot more about
bufferbloat on AX than I do on the above product, but have tested none
of it.
Mimosa's APs are due out soon. Cambium's AX products will be split
between 5GHz and 6GHz versions, and expected Q4 this year.

Last, though I've not played with 'em yet... I'm told tarana is
delivering some crazy performance, definately the best I've ever heard
of.

Price is 13,000 per AP, $600 per CPE, and a few dollars per month per
CPE, which is why many are waiting for AX.

--
I tried to build a better future, a few times:
https://wayforward.archive.org/?site=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.icei.org

Dave Täht CEO, TekLibre, LLC