New minimum speed for US broadband connections

Tony Wicks tony at wicks.co.nz
Wed Feb 16 22:05:26 UTC 2022

It is really quite odd that arguably the heart of high tech in the world has such poor coverage. I remember going on a visit there 10+ years ago and being shocked that the head of the development team at the company I was visiting had the best available which was a 2meg cable plan with a data cap while here in New Zealand we had adsl/vdsl to the curb unlimited for about $60USD. Then about 2 years ago we moved to 1G/500 GPON unlimited for a retail price of about $60USD. For the last year at home I’ve had unlimited 4Gb/s symmetric XGSPON for a retail price of around $105USD/month. This Fibre coverage covers something like 70% of the country and is rapidly rising. I would have thought Silicon Valley would be years ahead of a small country in the south pacific (we have to pay for all that sub sea connectivity to the USA and Australia as well, I have routers in San Jose and LA connected to Auckland). Something has gone horribly wrong to produce this outcome I would suggest.