New minimum speed for US broadband connections

Brandon Svec bsvec at teamonesolutions.com
Wed Feb 16 21:57:06 UTC 2022

Crap, slow internet options in the heart of Silicon Valley, I think..

https://www.broadbandmap.ca.gov

You can look around the billion dollar football stadium and international
airport and see neighborhoods with 1-3Mbps only.

On Wed, Feb 16, 2022 at 1:38 PM Josh Luthman <josh at imaginenetworksllc.com>
wrote:

> What is the embarrassment?
>
> On Wed, Feb 16, 2022 at 4:28 PM Michael Thomas <mike at mtcc.com> wrote:
>

>> On 2/16/22 1:13 PM, Josh Luthman wrote:
>>
>> I'll once again please ask for specific examples as I continue to see the
>> generic "it isn't in some parts of San Jose".
>>
>> On the note of the generic area of San Jose, I'm all but certain this has
>> a lot to do with California and its extraordinarily complicated and near
>> impossible accessibility to obtain CLEC status.  This makes competition
>> pretty much impossible and makes the costs of operating one extraordinarily
>> high.  I'm obviously not going to be one that claims that government is
>> good or bad, just pointing out a certain correlation which could
>> potentially be causation.
>>
>> Sonic has been installing fiber in San Francisco and other areas, but
>> they are really small. Comcast can't be bothered that I've ever heard. The
>> only other real alternative is things like Monkeybrains which is a WISP.
>> It's really an embarrassment.
>>
>> Mike
>>

>> On Wed, Feb 16, 2022 at 12:52 PM Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>>

>>> On Feb 11, 2022, at 13:14 , Josh Luthman <josh at imaginenetworksllc.com>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Because literally every case I've seen along these lines is someone
>>> complaining about the coax connection is "only 100 meg when I pay for 200
>>> meg".  Comcast was the most hated company and yet they factually had better
>>> speeds (possibly in part to their subjectively terrible customer service)