VPN recommendations?

Christian de Larrinaga cdel at firsthand.net
Sat Feb 12 14:05:39 UTC 2022

Intriguing. This week I started to look around for new wireguard
implementation tools and appliances. I've used openvpn and ipsec
in the main although last month put together a 10x and IPv6
wireguard net in my home and out to two vps hosts which is
handy. For my own use this is ok -ish, but I am not so sure about
keeping track of the configs, managing users and adding configs as
a network grows. In other words I want help when scaling wg and
handling change particularly if I am managing nets for other
projects or delegating.

Tailscale, ZeroTier and some others are doing a great job I feel
and no doubt have a handle on that. I've not tried them as yet.

Because I do like to have options that are not mediated I have
kept looking as much for my own curiousity and education as for
deploying a service in anger. But having a toolset that can
support the latter capability has to be the aim to work towards.

I've found a few potentially interesting more recent projects and
am intending to start to test deploy some of these in sequence to
see how I get on. I think I'll start wth
https://github.com/gravitl/netmaker Please note I've only reviewed
the documentation. I've not yet played with it.

This seems to  offer at an early stage in its development a
webappliance (optionally) with CoreDNS if you want  naming support
and IPv6 and at least some client management features. It claims
to be fast but that can be tested. It also is deployable as a
docker/kubernetes k8 which is intriguing when deploying and
managing containers between multiple hosts across data centres.
It uses a mongodb licence which may or may not be a problem.

If one plays with IPSEC then I guess one could run wg through
IPSEC but is there any point unless you already have an IPSEC
branch and don't want to take it down whilst adding wg for a new
class of devices/userbase?

I'd be interested in sharing experiences and advice (offlist) and
delighted to learn from  wireguard and vpn's clueful folk.

thank you for an interesting discussion.

Christian

--
Christian de Larrinaga
https://firsthand.net