junos config commit question

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Sat Feb 12 09:23:09 UTC 2022

On 2/12/22 00:54, Jon Lewis wrote:

> Also, get into the habit of never doing a commit without first doing
> top show | compare
> so you can see what your change is actually doing to the whole config.
> i.e. if you did a show | compare at the top of the config and saw the
> entire interfaces section of the config was "removed" in the resulting
> config diff, you probably wouldn't commit.

That is always my habit, with plenty of muscle memory... "show | compare".

I have often found it interesting how many folk have muscle memory for
"commit and-quit", including Juniper's own staff when I've had the
pleasure of being with them on a PoC. It's almost as if I missed an
entire period of Junos where that was deemed to be good practice :-).

Mark.