junos config commit question

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Sat Feb 12 03:06:46 UTC 2022

On Fri, Feb 11, 2022 at 5:58 PM Jon Lewis <jlewis at lewis.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Feb 2022, Lyndon Nerenberg (VE7TFX/VE6BBM) wrote:
>
> > On an EX4300 switch running JunOS 14.1 let's imagine I typed
> >
> >       config
> >       delete interfaces
> >
> > before coming to my senses.  How am I supposed to back out of that
> > mess?  For the life of me, after a week of reading the 3000 page
> > reference manual, and endless DuckDuckGoing, I cannot see a simple
> > way of just abandoning the commit.  I've got to be missing something
> > stunningly obvious here because it's unthinkable that this functionality
> > doesn't exist.  Help?!?
>
> What would you say if I told you a coworker once did exactly that, and did
> commit and-quit...and it had to be fixed by another coworker getting to it
> via OOB console and doing the rollback?  :)
>
> top [not necessary in your case, if you never left top]
> rollback 0
> quit
>
> Also, get into the habit of never doing a commit without first doing
> top
> show | compare
> so you can see what your change is actually doing to the whole config.

My muscle memory includes:
{ some changes }
top
show | compare
commit confirmed 5
{flip over the little electronic egg timer thingie that lives next to my
keyboard, so that it beeps after 3 minutes...wait... wait... press enter a
few times to make sure I haven't screwed myself...}
commit

If I skip the egg timer, then I *will* forget, and it will automatically
roll back. One of my largest annoyances with the Juniper CLI (other than
the fact that it won't format large numbers into a human readable format in
things like 'monitor interface traffic') is that it beeps the terminal
*after* it times out the commit.

Gee, thanks for letting me know you just blew away all of my changes...
couldn't you have done that 1 minute before automatically reverting?!!!

> i.e. if you did a show | compare at the top of the config and saw the
> entire interfaces section of the config was "removed" in the resulting
> config diff, you probably wouldn't commit.

>   Jon Lewis, MCP :)           |  I route
>   StackPath, Sr. Neteng       |  therefore you are

Perhaps they really do strive for incomprehensibility in their specs.
After all, when the liturgy was in Latin, the laity knew their place.
-- Michael Padlipsky