junos config commit question

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Fri Feb 11 22:54:50 UTC 2022

On Fri, 11 Feb 2022, Lyndon Nerenberg (VE7TFX/VE6BBM) wrote:

> On an EX4300 switch running JunOS 14.1 let's imagine I typed
>
> 	config
> 	delete interfaces
>
> before coming to my senses.  How am I supposed to back out of that
> mess?  For the life of me, after a week of reading the 3000 page
> reference manual, and endless DuckDuckGoing, I cannot see a simple
> way of just abandoning the commit.  I've got to be missing something
> stunningly obvious here because it's unthinkable that this functionality
> doesn't exist.  Help?!?

What would you say if I told you a coworker once did exactly that, and did
commit and-quit...and it had to be fixed by another coworker getting to it
via OOB console and doing the rollback?  :)

top [not necessary in your case, if you never left top]
rollback 0
quit

Also, get into the habit of never doing a commit without first doing
top
show | compare
so you can see what your change is actually doing to the whole config.
i.e. if you did a show | compare at the top of the config and saw the
entire interfaces section of the config was "removed" in the resulting
config diff, you probably wouldn't commit.