New minimum speed for US broadband connections

Blake Hudson blake at ispn.net
Fri Feb 11 21:51:48 UTC 2022

The house was completed a year or two before my mother's purchase and it
took Comcast another year or two to lay cable. Imagine buying a house
and waiting three to four years for internet service. That does not
qualify as "got service right away" in my mind. The frustrating part,
for me as a bystander, was that the 10-20 year old homes in the same
neighborhood had great service from several providers, while this group
of 4-5 homes had only one option. Certainly opened my eyes to the fact
that there are internet deserts in the middle of the suburbs.

Before purchasing my current home, I double checked visually that there
were at least two internet providers in the ground and at least one of
them was fiber before signing a contract. Turned out both were fiber
while a coax provider was promised and did eventually deliver. I'm happy
with my current service and its price; I attribute some of that to the
competition in the area.

--Blake