New minimum speed for US broadband connections

Brandon Svec bsvec at teamonesolutions.com
Fri Feb 11 21:33:23 UTC 2022

My example is just from experience.  Not hypothetical, but also not a
specific address I can recall or feel like looking up now.

The reality on the ground as someone who sells access to smallish
businesses mostly in California is as I described.  You can't see it on a
map or database because the map may show a Comcast/att/whomever
pop/availability at an address, but to get said access across the parking
lot or street is a 6 figure build out cost and 6 months or more waiting for
permits and construction to complete so effectively a building right across
the lot or street from another has completely different options.  If you
want to zero in on an area to investigate/research I do recall fairly
recently some business parks in Hayward, CA near 880 that had no options
except bonded copper stuff up to maybe 50/50Mbps for a really high price.
One of them I sold fiber DIA to and they waited about 8 months for permits
and construction and signed a 5 year lease to reduce/avoid buildout costs.

I guess fair cost and speed are subjective, but that clarifies the point I
was making.

Best,
Brandon