Authoritative Resources for Public DNS Pinging

Mike Lewinski mlewinski at massivenetworks.com
Fri Feb 11 20:43:55 UTC 2022

On a related note, I just discovered a NID that has 1.1.1.1 assigned to the outband interface by default, and it is apparently not user modifiable. So, not only can these devices never use 1.1.1.1 for name resolution, but attempts to determine "is the circuit up" by pinging it will always return bad information. To really pour salt on the wound, this device has no physical outbound interface (likely why the UI doesn't allow changing it).

Bug report filed. I don't really want to use it for either purpose, but hopefully a fix saves someone else the headache. And it really chaps my .... when public addresses get used this way.