Authoritative Resources for Public DNS Pinging

Kord Martin kord at firstnationscable.com
Fri Feb 11 15:31:49 UTC 2022

On 2022-02-11 10:11 a.m., Mike Hammett wrote:
> A system always checking to see if "Internet" is up is different than
> "I think something is wrong, let me check".

Yeah. I've had ping tests fail in false-positive and false-negative
scenarios and the take away isn't that there IS a problem, but rather an
investigation should probably take place. I don't think anybody here is
trying to argue that pings (or DNS lookups) are an infallible
reachability index for "the internet".

When it comes to customers, ping tests are a non-issue because the
complaint is normally that YouTube, Facebook, or whatever service isn't
available and therefore the "internet is down". At some point you have
to weight the cost/benefit of explaining to customers that the internet
is a large collection of interconnected networks and not some "cloud"
that we tap into. It is a series of tubes after all.