Authoritative Resources for Public DNS Pinging

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Fri Feb 11 08:27:54 UTC 2022

On 2/10/22 20:27, Tom Beecher wrote:

> I guess it depends on what the actual problem trying to be solved is.
>
> If I understand it correctly, the OG issue was someone (who was not
> Google) building some monitoring around the assumption of the idea
> that ICMP echo-request/reply to 8.8.8.8 would always be available.
> Google decided to make a change so that assumption was now false.
>
> The actual problem here has nothing to do with how Google handles (or
> doesn't handle) ICMP towards their servers. The issue is that people
> have made poor assumptions about how they structured monitoring, and
> learned some lessons about that. Suggesting that Party B should do
> something because Party A made poor decisions is questionable, even if
> it is 75% of what we do in this world.

100% - and this is the crux of the issue.

As a community, it is clear that there is a need for this, and if
8.8.8.8 stops being an anchor for liveliness detection, users will find
something else to replace it with. And we can bet all our Kwacha that it
won't have been designed for that purpose, either.

Mark.