Authoritative Resources for Public DNS Pinging

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Wed Feb 9 21:21:10 UTC 2022

On 2/9/22 1:29 PM, Lady Benjamin Cannon of Glencoe wrote:
> Exactly.  8.8.8.8 isn’t going down anytime soon, also is geographically
> redundant; even if half the internet is dead, it’ll still be there.
>   It’s somewhat hard to duplicate that cheap.

And yet here we are having a thread where part of the motivation was
systems having problems /because/ 8.8.8.8 had problems in some capacity.

Evil idea:  What if an ISP anycasts 8.8.8.8 (et al.) to their own bog
standard recursive DNS server?  Then pings to it won't test greater
Internet reach ability.  (I'm assuming that it's only available to their
clients and not anycasted out to the Internet at large.)

> What else is like that and easy to remember and isn’t 1.1.1.1 ?

I wonder how much of the problem is /human/ /interactive/ pings as
opposed to automation / monitoring / probe pings.  I think the former
greatly benefits from having something easy to remember.  I also think
the latter doesn't actually care if it's easy for the human to remember
or not.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die