Authoritative Resources for Public DNS Pinging

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 20:25:45 UTC 2022

On Wed, Feb 9, 2022 at 2:10 PM Lady Benjamin Cannon of Glencoe <lb at 6by7.net>
wrote:

> ok that’s amazing.
>
> RFC1149 amazing.
>

> Side note, am I missing something obvious where I can’t just have hardware
> routers strip ICMP, pipe it separately, put 500 VMs behind 4 vLBs and let
> the world ping the brains out of it?

I suspect that half the reason: "ping 8.8.8.8" (do not do this!) is used
is: "easy to remember 8.8.8.8"
and half is: "Well, that IP is well connected enough that you are
reasonably assured that: 'enough of the internet is up ....'" if it replies.

(maybe it's 75/25? or 80/20 not 5050... but you get my point)