Authoritative Resources for Public DNS Pinging

Matthew Walster matthew at walster.org
Wed Feb 9 08:12:58 UTC 2022

On Wed, 9 Feb 2022, 07:42 Stephane Bortzmeyer, <bortzmeyer at nic.fr> wrote:

> The only problem is the less friendly IP address (although this will
> be less and less a problem with IPv6, since 2001:4860:4860::8888 is
> not really friendly).

Au contraire, I find 2600:: easy to remember :P

This can be partially mitigated with nice domain
> names, that an access or service provider can set up.

The problem with a domain name is that you then have to rely on your DNS
resolver. By directly specifying an IP address, you know that you are
testing the internet, not your resolver.

But yes, that would be the easiest way around it. If only ping.network
didn't look as though it was squatting on the name for it's resale value...