Authoritative Resources for Public DNS Pinging

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Wed Feb 9 07:42:58 UTC 2022

On Wed, Feb 09, 2022 at 09:37:02AM +0200,
 Mark Tinka <mark at tinka.africa> wrote
 a message of 18 lines which said:

> > Let me repeat that there is a service which is officially intended to
> > be pinged/queried/etc, the RIPE Anchors.
>
> Yeah, but how do we get out there in a manner that Jane can easily find and
> use, like she does 8.8.8.8?

I don't think that John (who is probably no more clueful than Jane)
knows about Google Public DNS either.

The only problem is the less friendly IP address (although this will
be less and less a problem with IPv6, since 2001:4860:4860::8888 is
not really friendly). This can be partially mitigated with nice domain
names, that an access or service provider can set up.