Authoritative Resources for Public DNS Pinging

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Wed Feb 9 07:08:04 UTC 2022

On 2/9/22 07:24, Grant Taylor via NANOG wrote:

> The entrenched, pervasive, Internet-wide behavior used to be to use
> any convenient SMTP server to relay mail too.
>
> The entrenched, pervasive, <something?>-wide behavior used to be to
> smoke on planes too.
>
> Things change with the times.

Yep. And we would do well to change, as well. We can't keep fighting
reality, and reality is that CPE vendors (including the big ones like
the Meraki's of the world) hard-code 8.8.8.8 as a test target in their
software.

It's terrible behaviour, but unless we offer a more "official"
alternative, it won't end.

Google may stop it, but the public will simply turn to something else,
and that target will not have been expecting it.

Mark.