Authoritative Resources for Public DNS Pinging

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Wed Feb 9 04:53:01 UTC 2022

On 2/9/22 01:13, Mark Delany wrote:

> So. Question. Will making ping/ICMP mostly useless for home-gamers and lazy network admins
> change internet behaviour for the better? Or will it have unintended consequences such as
> an evolutionary adaptation by the tools resulting in yet more unwanted traffic which is
> even harder to eliminate?

It is clear that a number of Internet users find pinging "reliable" IP
addresses useful, regardless of whether it actually is or isn't, or
whether it's ethical or not.

Like we have done with other public services such as NTP, perhaps it's
time we developed some infrastructure for this, so that folk can have
something reliable to ping that was built for purpose, and also release
the Google's and Yahoo's of the world from having to bear the brunt of such.

Certainly, trying to get people to stop pinging is not going to work.
Time to go with the tide, than against it.

Mark.