Amazon peering revisited

Eric Kuhnke eric.kuhnke at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 20:37:21 UTC 2022

For those persons who have not received an answer from the Amazon peering
email addresses, or a BGP session with traffic actually flowing across
it...

Obviously Amazon does not share their own traffic volume criteria for
selecting a peer vs. sending traffic to them over a giant IP transit
provider.

I wonder what the actual threshold is as measured in traffic volume from
netflow data to/from the Amazon AS before they start taking a potential
peer seriously. Obviously if you're somebody big like a regional ILEC or a
cable operator that has half of a major city as your incumbent territory,
it's not even a question, but for smaller ISPs it's an interesting question
to discover where exactly that threshold is.