Large RTT or Why doesn't my ping traffic get discarded?

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Thu Dec 22 06:07:03 UTC 2022

There certainly aren't any temporal buffers in SP gear limiting the
buffer to 100ms, nor are there any mechanisms to temporally decrease
TTL or hop-limit. Some devices may expose temporal configuration to
UX, but that is just a multiplier for max_buffer_bytes, and what is
programmed is a fixed amount of bytes instead of temporal limit as
function of observed traffic rate.
This is important, because HW may support tens or even hundreds of
thousands of queues, because HW may support large amount of logical
interfaces with HQoS and multiple queues each, then if such device is
ran with single logical interface, which is low speed either
physically or shaped, you may end up having very very long temporal
queues, not because people intend to queue long, but because
understanding all of this requires lot of context and information
about platform which isn't readily available nor is solved by 'just
remove those buffers from devices physically, it's bufferbloat'.

Like others have pointed out, there is not much information to go with
and this could be many things, one of those could be 'buffer bloat'
like Taht pointed out, this might be true because cyclical nature of
the ping, buffer getting filled and drained. I don't really think
ARP/ND is good candidate like Herring suggested, because it's
cyclical, instead of exactly single event, but not impossible.

We'd really need to see full mtr output, and if or not this affects
other destinations, if it just affects icmp or also dns, ideally
reverse traceroute as well. I can tell that I'm not observing the
issue, nor did I expect to observe it, as I expect problem to close to
your network, and therefore affecting a lot of destinations.

--
  ++ytti