202212160543.AYC Re: eMail Conventions

Abraham Y. Chen aychen at avinta.com
Fri Dec 16 15:05:21 UTC 2022

Dear Bill, Et al.:

0)  Ever since I signed up to the NANOG List, I have been getting
complaints about my eMail style, format, etc. Since I could not find any
document that clearly stated the guidelines and no one cared about
providing an explicit lead, it has been a very frustrating experience.
As I explained previously, my best understanding of an eMail is that it
is an electronic equivalent of the traditional postal letter. We should
start from following the old business correspondence protocol and then
enhance it by taking advantage of the available electronic facility.
Beyond that, an eMail is a literary work from an individual writer's own
"creativity". A receiver can do anything possible about handling an
eMail, but should refrain from imposing "rules" to the writer, unless
there is a mutual consent. From time to time in the past, I did get
questions from various contacts about what was I doing. Upon describing
my rationales, most accepted them. Some even started to mimic my
approaches. However, feedback on this List was exceptionally strong, it
was quite distracting. Thus, I tried my best to minimize the rough
spots, so that we could carry on the technical discussions.

1)  "On 2022-12-01 23:54, nanog wrote: ...  1) Your emails do not
conform to the list standards (changing subject lines with every reply
making it impossible to digest or follow.) ...   ":

   The above from you was the most recent feedback that I got. It
stirred up my curiosity on this topic again. Since I had some slack time
during the past few days, I decided to look into the "threading". I have
been using ThunderBird eMail client software ever since its
introduction, but never bothered about using its Message Threads
facility because my own subject line tagging technique seemed to be
sufficient. After a bit of fiddling, I was able to get ThunderBird to
display messages organized in threads. Below is one such example. As you
can see, my practice of continuously prefixing timestamps to the
"Subject" line of messages in a thread seems to conform to ThunderBird's
mechanism! Now, I would appreciate very much to see an example of how
your eMail system handles the message threads. So that we can compare
notes. Thanks,

Q. E. D.

Happy Holidays!

Abe (2022-12-16 10:04 EST)