Large prefix lists/sets on IOS-XR

Tom Beecher beecher at beecher.cc
Tue Dec 13 15:56:44 UTC 2022

> That's a take on it I really hadn't considered.  I'm very aware that
> moving from a decade or two of legacy manual config to full data
> model/automation in a big bang is never going to work, but I'd been looking
> at what individual elements could be pulled out and automated with
> judicious use of "replace".  Never considered making the *entire* legacy
> config a starting point for the template, and then effectively working on
> automating replacing parts of that config file with data-driven versions of
> the same.

It really makes life a LOT easier to do it that way. It can create some
quirky downsides where different people create the sections to replace in
different ways, and operational confusion (Is this section under automation
now or not?) , but it's still light years ahead of trying to build a
monolithic template from scratch.

Working section by section also makes it much easier to handle deltas and
exceptions for different sites and locations.