Sites blocking ISP Addresses

Mike Hammett nanog at ics-il.net
Thu Dec 1 18:40:29 UTC 2022

Pointing fingers is free.

-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions
http://www.ics-il.com

Midwest-IX
http://www.midwest-ix.com

----- Original Message -----

From: "Owen DeLong via NANOG" <nanog at nanog.org>
To: ryan at rkhtech.org
Cc: "James Dexter" <james at althea.systems>, nanog at nanog.org
Sent: Thursday, December 1, 2022 11:21:51 AM
Subject: Re: Sites blocking ISP Addresses

To make matters worse, many sites use CDNs with Web Application Firewalls.

The WAF is under control of the site, but many sites blindly implement the recommendations of the WAF provider.

So this allows the site to blame the CDN because they blindly implement their recommendations, while the CDN states that they cannot fix it because the WAF configuration is under the control of their customer.

This was a persistent problem when I was at Akamai and has not been solved there yet to the best of my knowledge. Virtually every other CDN/WAF provider works the same way in my experience.

Owen