Mitigating the effects of SLAAC renumbering events (draft-ietf-6man-slaac-renum)

Vasilenko Eduard vasilenko.eduard at huawei.com
Wed Aug 31 12:43:51 UTC 2022

Hi all,

The router could split information between RAs (and send it at different intervals).
It may be difficult to guess what is stale and what is just "not in this RA".

Fernando proposing (not documented yet in draft-ietf-6man-slaac-renum-04) re-asking the router by RS and using timers (size of timers is not proposed yet) To guess that router has probably supplied the full set of information And we could start concluding what is stale.

There is an alternative proposal to signal by ND flag that "this RA has the complete set of information"
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-vv-6man-nd-prefix-robustness-02
... then you could immediately make your reliable conclusion on what is stale.

IMHO: Clear signaling that "information is complete in this RA" is better than guessing by timers.
It is the more robust solution.
We need to sync the state between the host and just rebooted the router.

If you have an opinion on this matter,
Please send a message to ipv6 at ietf.org

Thanks.

Eduard