RFC: BOGONs over BGP, adding some ranges

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 02:55:59 UTC 2022

On Tue, Aug 30, 2022 at 10:17 AM James Shank <jshank at cymru.com> wrote:

> Dear NANOG!
>
> As many of you know, Team Cymru runs a free service delivering updated
> BOGONS to networks around the world. We've been doing this for decades
> at this point. For more information about this service, please see
> https://www.team-cymru.com/bogon.
>
> Recently, we've discussed internally a discrepancy between our BGP based
> feed and the other formats we deliver for our Traditional BOGONS feed.
> For historic reasons, we previously omitted delivery of some ranges that
> are BOGONS from our BGP advertisements. We are considering adding the
> below ranges back in, but want to hear feedback from the community on
> these ranges prior to advertising them, out of an abundance of caution.
>
> The below ranges are what we are currently considering advertising:
> 0/8 (this one we already have concluded is safe as it is already
> advertised in our "FULL BOGONS" set.)
> 127/8
> 224/4
> 240/4
>
> Note that 224/4 and 240/4 may be aggregated differently in our
> advertisement, but are broken out here to facilitate discussion.

I would like to make an effort to debogon 240/4 at least, or have an
authorized experiment to at least determine how fully bogon'd it is.

Some recent data about amazon and verizon:

https://labs.ripe.net/author/qasim-lone/2404-as-seen-by-ripe-atlas/

One question for me is how many folks rely on regular bogon updates
such as yours. There are others.

--
FQ World Domination pending: https://blog.cerowrt.org/post/state_of_fq_codel/
Dave Täht CEO, TekLibre, LLC