VZ FIOS and Intel TCP IPv6 Checksum Offload problems

Mel Beckman mel at beckman.org
Sat Aug 27 22:36:39 UTC 2022

No. In fact, a lot of low-end Ethernet interfaces are completely implemented in interrupt-driven driver software that runs in the host OS (such as Windows). The only thing the hardware provides is the magnetically to transduce binary bit streams.

Even MAC-address decode is in software, and as a result, broadcast storms can slow these hosts to a crawl as the CPU had to check and discard every broadcast packet as “not mine”.

When these tasks are offloaded from the CPU to the Ethernet hardware, the CPU doesn’t need to perform these tasks, reducing CPU workload. These also offloading resources provide parallel computing and validation of checksums, which is otherwise computationally expensive.

I don’t know how this particular ONT bug works, but I’m guessing that it results in checksum failures under certain conditions, leading to retransmissions.

-mel via cell