[EXTERNAL] Re: Yet another BGP hijacking towards AS16509

Compton, Rich A Rich.Compton at charter.com
Tue Aug 23 17:18:42 UTC 2022

I was under the impression that ASPA could prevent route leaks as well as path spoofing.  This "BGP Route Security Cycling to the Future!" presentation from NANOG seems to indicate this is the case: https://youtu.be/0Fi2ghCnXi0?t=1093
Also, can't the path spoofing protection that BGPsec provides be defeated by an attacker advertising a hijacked prefix with a forged AS_PATH without BGPsec?  In order to get around this vulnerability, all of the Internet would have to only perform BGPsec which doesn't seem realistic.  Security solutions where everyone has to implement the control before it works effectively are rarely adopted.

-Rich