Looking for contact within Comcast Xfinity

Jawaid Bazyar jbazyar at verobroadband.com
Tue Aug 23 14:15:21 UTC 2022

Comcast also molests SIP.

From: NANOG <nanog-bounces+jbazyar=verobroadband.com at nanog.org> on behalf of "Aaron C. de Bruyn via NANOG" <nanog at nanog.org>
Date: Tuesday, August 23, 2022 at 7:47 AM
To: Michael Brown <michael at supermathie.net>
Cc: North American Network Operators' Group <nanog at nanog.org>
Subject: Re: Looking for contact within Comcast Xfinity

I ran into this a few days ago.

Both the random agent I talked to and our sales rep said they can't disable the security edge service without increasing the cost of service for all of our accounts.

Apparently it costs more to not molest DNS traffic leaving your network.

They can temporarily disable it, but they said it will turn back on when the modem is rebooted.

It seems to only affect TCP and UDP port 53.

I fixed it by setting all of our routers to use DoH and DoT exclusively.  They can't intercept and molest that traffic.

-A