cogent and henet not peering

Forrest Christian (List Account) lists at packetflux.com
Sun Aug 21 00:25:44 UTC 2022

But that traffic was likely requested by and for the benefit of the person
the traffic is being sent to.

I've always found the argument that the quantity of traffic is the
indicator of who should pay to be questionable.

If I'm an end user on an eyeball user and request a big download or
streaming from a provider, isn't it me that caused that traffic to flow?
One could argue that I am the one that needs to pay.

On the other hand, one could argue that it's the provider of the content
that I requested that needs to pay, since it's their content which is being
distributed.

When you get to peering between two providers it's almost impossible to
decide who needs to pay.    As I mentioned above, passing that traffic is
actually to the benefit of both providers.

About the only settlement I could see is where one of the providers is
bearing most of the transport costs.  For example a regional provider only
peering at one exchange point might expect some settlement costs with a big
international provider that is effectively carrying their traffic both
directions around the globe.  But the quantity of that type of traffic is
likely minimal in the grand scheme of things.     Even then one might argue
that connectivity to the small provider is still valuable to the customers
of the large provider.