Google Abuse

Mark Seiden mis at seiden.com
Tue Aug 16 19:47:58 UTC 2022

well, that isn’t exactly true.

ALL of the fraudsters, business email compromisers, spoofing accounts are now from gmail and as far as i can tell,
there is no evidence that they do ANYTHING about them.    i recently gave a talk on fraudulent restaurant reviews
in google maps.  easy for humans to spot.  (hundreds of machine learning engineers at google.  what are they doing?)

but here’s a counterexample… not that it serves anyone particularly well:

a colleague of mine (ex googler, superb engineer, with a brother who is a current googler) had ALL of his google accounts
deactivated recently.  a google fi customer, he used it to send an mms photo of a rash on his toddler’s crotch to his wife,
so she could upload it (using https) to their pediatrician’s portal for diagnosis.

a few days later the cops were at the door with a search warrant.  the cops agreed it was a false positive, but despite that,
the accounts were deactivated (including gmail), seemingly permanently, despite multiple attempts to revive it and attempts
at escalation.

i was actually surprised.  i thought that google fi was a neutral pipe.

who knew that google mines mms images for pink parts?

do the other cell phone companies do the same?  (not that i particularly need to test it…)

(is there any transparency here regarding the scanning and retention policy for sms and mms contents?)

which raises, in the post-boggs world, another question:

are google, like fb, recording and retaining direct messages and sms/mms contents, so they can turn them over
to law enforcement who have become “interested" in who was pregnant and who stopped being pregnant?

https://www.vice.com/en/article/n7zevd/this-is-the-data-facebook-gave-police-to-prosecute-a-teenager-for-abortion

(once again, there ain’t no sanity clause.)