CC: s to Non List Members (was Re: 202203080924.AYC Re: 202203071610.AYC Re: Making Use of 240/4 NetBlock)

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 16:03:14 UTC 2022

On Wed, Mar 9, 2022 at 9:11 AM Tim Howe <tim.h at bendtel.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Mar 2022 11:22:49 -0500
> Tom Beecher <beecher at beecher.cc> wrote:
>
> > > It doesn't take any OS upgrades for "getting everything to work on
> > > IPv6".  All the OS's and routers have supported IPv6 for more than a
> > > decade.
> > >

> > There are lots of vendors, both inside and outside the networking space,
> > that have consistently released products with non-existant or broken IPv6
> > implementations. That includes smaller startups, as well as very big
> > names. An affirmative choice is often made to make sure v4 works , get the
> > thing out the door, and deal with v6 later, or if a big client complains.
>
>         This a thousand times.  Don't believe the claims of IPv6
> support until you have fully tested it.  Almost no vendor is including
> any IPv6 testing in their QA process and nobody is including it in any
> of their support staff training.  Their labs may not even have v6
> capability.  Some of our biggest vendors who have supposedly supported
> v6 for over a decade have rudimentary, show-stopping bugs.  The support
> staff at these vendors have often never even seen a customer using v6,
> and they have no idea what it looks like on their own gear.

I have worked really hard to make sure ipv6 "just works" (still) in
the upcoming openwrt 22.03 release, treating it as *my* primary ip
stack, at least.

But I spent most of my time fixing a string of fq-codel & ATF wifi
regressions on the mt76 chips and (especially) not on testing the
various encapsulations, and am out of time.

If y'all care about ipv6, please lean in, test, and file bugs on these
last release candidates before it goes final?

https://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/22.03.0-rc6/targets/

The network you save may be your own.

--
FQ World Domination pending: https://blog.cerowrt.org/post/state_of_fq_codel/