Proposals at ITU-T for Internet Evolution Raise Serious Concerns; According to ISOC

bzs at theworld.com bzs at theworld.com
Thu Aug 11 22:33:20 UTC 2022

This has been going around for at least two years, makes for some
great scary, click-bait headlines ("they propose an internet kill
switch! For China!", and so forth.)

Besides the obvious question, "by what authority will they move this
forward?" many of us looked at the proposals and they're, in a word,
idiocy.

  https://www.itu.int/en/ITU-T/studygroups/2017-2020/13/Documents/Internet_2030%20.pdf

(it's only 25 pages and you probably can skip to section 6, maybe look
at section 5, the rest is mostly "what a network is" padding.)

I don't mean I don't like it or just want to criticize it, I mean
rambling, sophomoric idiocy.

But you have to give some credit to their coming up with:

  "Holographic Avatar Centric Communications"

as a core idea.

I'd say, like we said with ISO/OSI, etc etc etc: Implement a test bed
and we'll have a look!

--
        -Barry Shein