IoT - The end of the internet

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Aug 11 05:41:55 UTC 2022

> On Aug 10, 2022, at 15:51 , Mel Beckman <mel at beckman.org> wrote:
>
> Christopher,
>
> What you’re really observing here is that today's technology does not yet enable these your chosen use cases. It may someday, but not today, not for any amount of money. 1990s modem technology didn’t enable streaming video either, but add 20 years of advancement, and today you can watch Seinfeld on your wrist.
>
> Mankind has been to the moon, but you can’t have lunch on the moon next week, no matter how much money you have. But I have no doubt that eventually humans will be eating lunch on the moon whenever they like.
>
> The Internet has never been “re-thought” throughout it’s entire history. Networking has advanced tremendously with stepwise refinement just fine. A “re-think” would simply be too expensive and too disruptive.

The abysmal slow rate of IPv6 adoption proves this better than any amount of pontification could.

Despite all of the obvious benefits of bigger addressing, people continue to cling to their IPv4.

The saddest part of the situation is that the costs they impose are easily externalized onto those that are not lagging behind.

Owen