IoT - The end of the internet

Ca By cb.list6 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 22:49:05 UTC 2022

On Wed, Aug 10, 2022 at 3:30 PM Christopher Wolff <chris at vergeinternet.com>
wrote:

> Hi NANOG;
>
> I appreciate all the thoughtful replies and I apologize for vague posting
> when I should be sleeping.
>
> Let me paint a little more context and hopefully this will help inform the
> conversation.
>
> Use Case 1:  Augmented Reality/Virtual Reality.  It is stated that round
> trip latency must be <4ms with 100mbit full duplex at the cell edge to
> prevent nausea and dizziness while wearing goggles for a long term.
>
> Use Case 2:  A little closer to “IoT”. An autonomous vehicle under remote
> control requires 100 feet to stop with LTE vs 20 feet with 5G.
>
> Use Case 3:  A Lidar near-miss sensor at an intersection requires 1ms from
> the traffic operations center.
>
> I hypothesize that there is a ‘breaking point’ between safety, health, and
> latency and traditional IP.
>
> Will tomorrow’s applications require a re-thinking of “The Internet” and
> protocols that are low latency compliant?  Will we be building an infinite
> number of mobile edge compute boxes?
>
> If there’s an academic study describing this potential issue it would help
> kickstart some interesting research.
>
> Best,
> Christopher

None of those use cases are real or cost justified.

1. VR will be rendered locally, not cell network dependents. The gpu in
your phone is evolving at a staggering pace. Look at Occulous or Magic Leap
(which was an amazing leader, and then died because VR is not real,
literally!)

2. Cars wont be remotely operated. That is not a thing, look at Waymo and
Tesla to see what the leaders are doing. Again, 100% local on board.

3. Same as 2