IoT - The end of the internet

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Wed Aug 10 05:14:17 UTC 2022

On Wed, 10 Aug 2022 at 07:54, Pascal Thubert (pthubert) via NANOG
<nanog at nanog.org> wrote:

> On a more positive note, the IPv6 IoT can be seen as an experiment on how we can scale the internet another order of magnitude or 2 without taking the power or the spectrum consumption to the parallel levels.

I think at least the next 20 years of IoT is thread (and wifi for high
BW)+matter, and IoT devices won't have IP that is addressable even
from the user LAN, you go via GW, none of which you configure.

Some bits of if look unnecessarily forced perspective, like the
addressing scheme, instead of inlining your role in PDU we use this
cutesy addressing scheme looks like bit forced marketing of IPv6,
doesn't seem necessary but also not really an important decision
either way. Overall I think thread+matter are well designed and they
make me quite optimistic of reasonable IoT outcomes.

--
  ++ytti