400G forwarding - how does it work?

ljwobker at gmail.com ljwobker at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 14:37:29 UTC 2022

Buffering is a near-religious topic across a large swath of the network industry, but here are some opinions of mine:

a LOT of operators/providers need more buffering than you can realistically put directly onto the ASIC die.  Fast chips without external buffers measure capacity in tens of microseconds, which is nowhere near enough for a lot of the market.  We can (and do) argue about exactly where and what network roles can be met by this amount of buffering, but it's absolutely not a large enough part of the market to totally go away from "big" external buffers.
Once you "jump off the cliff" of needing something more than on-chip SRAM, you're in this weird area where nothing exists in the technology space that *really* solves the problem, because you really need access rate and bandwidth more than you need capacity.   HBM is currently the best (or at least the most popular) combination of capacity, power, access rate, and bandwidth... but it's still nowhere near perfect.  A common HBM2 implementation gives you 8GB of buffer space and about 2Tb of raw bandwidth, and a few hundred million IOPS.  (A lot of that gets gobbled up by various overheads....)

These values are a function of two things:
1) memory physics - I don't know enough about how these things are Like Really Actually Built to talk about this part.
2) market forces... the market for this stuff is really GPUs, ML/AI applications, etc.  The networking silicon market is a drop in the ocean compared to the rest of compute, so the specific needs of my router aren't going to ever drive enough volume to get big memory makers to do exactly what **I** want.  I'm at the mercy of what they build for the gigantic players in the rest of the market.

If you told me that someone had a memory technology that was something like "one-fourth the capacity of HBM, but four times the bandwidth and four times the access rate" I would do backflips and buy a lot of it, because it's a way better fit for the specific performance dimensions I need for A Really Fast Router.  But nothing remotely along these lines exists... so like a lot of other people I just have to order off the menu.   ;-)

--lj