cogent - Sales practices

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Sun Aug 7 07:46:55 UTC 2022

On Sat, 6 Aug 2022 at 23:08, Eric Kuhnke <eric.kuhnke at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a morbid curiosity about what the CRM database looks like inside Cogent, for the stale/cold leads that get passed on to a new junior sales rep every six months.
>
> The amount of peoples' names/email addresses/phone numbers in there must be stupendous.
>
> All of this can probably serve as a useful training tool for smaller/mid sized ISPs with their own outbound sales staff on how not to treat the potential customers.

What is the benchmark? What are we trying to do? Where does CCOI fail
and some competitor succeeds? Purely from tenQ POV, CCOI seems to be
doing fine and improving. Many shops that we could consider
competitors have been run to the ground or been sold off to avoid
losing more.

I fear that what they are doing objectively works from a business POV,
and nanog is not representative of the addressable market, if
anything, it may be a net-win to get rid of us, as we may be more
expensive to support than mean.

--
  ++ytti