400G forwarding - how does it work?

ljwobker at gmail.com ljwobker at gmail.com
Sat Aug 6 14:08:35 UTC 2022

I don't think I can add much here to the FP and Trio specific questions, for obvious reasons... but ultimately it comes down to a set of tradeoffs where some of the big concerns are things like "how do I get the forwarding state I need back and forth to the things doing the processing work"  -- that's an insane level oversimplification, as a huge amount of engineering time goes into those choices.

I think the "revolutionary-ness" (to vocabulate a useful word?) of putting multiple cores or whatever onto a single package is somewhat in the eye of the beholder.  The vast majority of customers would never know nor care whether a chip on the inside was implemented as two parallel "cores" or whether it was just one bigger "core" that does twice the amount of work in the same time.  But to the silicon designer, and to a somewhat lesser extent the people writing the forwarding and associated chip-management code, it's definitely a big big deal.  Also, having the ability to put two cores down on a given chip opens the door to eventually doing MORE than two cores, and if you really stretch your brain you get to where you might be able to put down "N" pipelines.

This is the story of integration: back in the day we built systems where everything was forwarded on a single CPU.  From a performance standpoint all we cared about was the clock rate and how much work was required to forward a packet.  Divide the second number by the first, and you get your answer.  In the late 90's we built systems (the 7500 for me) that were distributed, so now we had a bunch of CPUs on linecards running that code.  Horizontal scaling -- sort of.  In the early 2000's the GSR came along and now we're doing forwarding in hardware, which is an order or two faster, but a whole bunch of features are now too complex to do in hardware, so they go over the side and people have to adapt.  To the best of my knowledge, TCP intercept has never come back...
For a while, GSR and CRS type systems had linecards where each card had a bunch of chips that together built the forwarding pipeline.  You had chips for the L1/L2 interfaces, chips for the packet lookups, chips for the QoS/queueing math, and chips for the fabric interfaces.  Over time, we integrated more and more of these things together until you (more or less) had a linecard where everything was done on one or two chips, instead of a half dozen or more.  Once we got here, the next step was to build linecards where you actually had multiple independent things doing forwarding -- on the ASR9k we called these "slices".  This again multiplies the performance you can get, but now both the software and the operators have to deal with the complexity of having multiple things running code where you used to only have one.  Now let's jump into the 2010's where the silicon integration allows you to put down multiple cores or pipelines on a single chip, each of these is now (more or less) it's own forwarding entity.  So now you've got yet ANOTHER layer of abstraction.  If I can attempt to draw out the tree, it looks like this now:
1) you have a chassis or a system, which has a bunch of linecards.
2) each of those linecards has a bunch of NPUs/ASICs
3) each of those NPUs has a bunch of cores/pipelines

And all of this stuff has to be managed and tracked by the software.  If I've got a system with 16 linecards, and each of those has 4 NPUs, and each of THOSE has 4 cores - I've got over *two hundred and fifty* separate things forwarding packets at the same time.  Now a lot of the info they're using is common (the FIB is probably the same for all these entities...) but some of it is NOT.  There's no value in wasting memory for the encapsulation data to host XXX if I know that none of the ports on my given NPU/core are going to talk to that host, right?  So - figuring out how to manage the *state locality* becomes super important.  And yes, this code breaks like all code, but no one has figured out any better way to scale up the performance.  If you have a brilliant idea here that will get me the performance of 250+ things running in parallel but the simplicity of it looking and acting like a single thing to the rest of the world, please find an angel investor and we'll get phenomenally rich together.

--lj