IERS ponders reverse leapsecond...

Forrest Christian (List Account) lists at packetflux.com
Thu Aug 4 20:51:42 UTC 2022

Having at least a part of one foot in the global time and frequency
community I'd say that it seems that the consensus is building toward
eliminating leap seconds.

There was a vote planned in 2012 to do so after a straw poll showed that
most member countries was in favor to do so.   But in a typical committee
move they elected to study it more before making a decision.

Hopefully there will be some movement next year when they're scheduled to
discuss it again.    It's unfortunate that the first negative leap second
is likely to occur before then.