IERS ponders reverse leapsecond...

Marshall Eubanks marshall.eubanks at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 15:47:52 UTC 2022

Just to set the standard.

There is no "during" a negative leap second.

A positive leap second proceeds as
23:59:59
23:59:60 <--- second added here
00:00:00

A negative leap second proceeds as
23:59:58
00:00:00 <--- whoops! second 59 is gone!!!

Those systems that "smear" leap seconds over a 24 hour period will
presumably just smear in the reverse direction.

It would not surprise me at all if the liquid outer core keeps on its
slowdown and a negative leap second would need to be scheduled sooner
or later.

Regards
Marshall Eubanks