FEC AO 2022-14

Anne Mitchell amitchell at isipp.com
Tue Aug 2 15:40:30 UTC 2022

> On Aug 1, 2022, at 7:38 PM, Michael Rathbun <mdr at tesp.com> wrote:
>
> The incremental cost of unwanted postal mail deposited in a recycling bin
> in most US municipalities is 0.0000% of the monthly charge.  The sender is,
> however, paying USPS for (however degraded) delivery.  This works for me.

Just to clarify, this is specifically about *campaign-related* USPS mail. Because Congress has enjoyed franking privileges (meaning they get to send out USPS mail that is related to their official congressional business at no cost to the congressperson, and instead on the taxpayer's dime) for, well, ever.

--
Anne P. Mitchell, Attorney at Law
CEO Institute for Social Internet Public Policy
Author: Section 6 of the CAN-SPAM Act of 2003 (the Federal anti-spam law)
Author: The Email Deliverability Handbook
Board of Directors, Denver Internet Exchange
Dean Emeritus, Cyberlaw & Cybersecurity, Lincoln Law School
Prof. Emeritus, Lincoln Law School
Chair Emeritus, Asilomar Microcomputer Workshop
Counsel Emeritus, eMail Abuse Prevention System (MAPS)